Re: [Gimp-developer] GIMP UI quality opinion

On Thu, Feb 16, 2012 at 4:11 PM, Thorsten Wilms <t_w_ freenet de> wrote:
> On 02/16/2012 12:56 PM, Aleksey Midenkov wrote:
>>
>> But along all these years when no one
>> from Gimp creators scratched their head to get it more convenient
>> everyone must ask that question. Over and over. And you should answer
>> it every time, you deserve it. Spare your sarcasm.
>

> First it's an unfounded assumption, when you simply have no clue what has
> been going on regarding development.
>
> Then the part about "deserving" it speaks of a rotten, poisonous mindset,
> when your are dealing with a project run by volunteers, who generously offer
> the result of their freetime-work for free as in speech and beer.
>

>> To Martin: even 'Save' and 'Save as' on toolbar saves one click. Not
>> saying about such repitive operations as Rotate, Resize, Auto levels
>> etc. Now trivial photo treatment is done with the whole lot of clicks!
>> I'm pretty sure their count can be reduced thrice with toolbars.
>

> The overall potential for time-saving goes down with increasing the number
> of toolbar icons, as it approaches an overwhelming forest of stuff.
>
> Ambitious and professional users (the desired audience for GIMP) tend to
> learn shortcuts for the very frequent commands. To then have toolbar icons
> for them is just a waste of space.

Yes, I see how you treat people who uses your software. Just normal
people, who have their opinion and have the right to speak it. What
could I expect from that, a miracle? No. You aim at *ambitious*
people. That's says everything! You direct to some logs saying 'read
what we did'! But I don't need read it. I as an ordinary user saw not
much new since last 7 years. And you don't blame me on that I use only
basic operations. How we call people who don't want to help and just
says 'learn shortcuts'? You name it. And what you saying about rotting
mindset? Are you trying to put that on me? Don't bother with that,
that is sure not me.

And toolbars *are* silver bullet! Because software like Gimp will stay
crippled without them. No matter how much it can do! You think
different? Then you are wrong! End of story.