Re: [Gimp-developer] suggestion for new versions of GIMP

> Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2011 10:20:08 +0100
> From: tobias oelgarte googlemail com
> To: gimp-developer-list gnome org
> Subject: Re: [Gimp-developer] suggestion for new versions of GIMP
>
> Maybe the focus for sliders should react the same way like the sliders in Blender do? They don't steal the focus as long you don't really
> use it to enter a number/value.

More like, if you type something that the focused control doesn't fly as valid input, it automatically passes that keystroke event to the "parent" event handler.  So if your focus is on the slider's text box, number keys will input numbers to the box, other keys pass through and can be recognized as general shortcut keys.  (A long time ago when I toyed around with some VB6 I remember configuring one app to have the main form window handle all keypress events so I could make centralized, context-sensitive decisions about when a keypress was to be interpreted as text input or as a key shortcut)

This is one of my longstanding minor gripes about GIMP myself -- many of the keyboard shortcuts only work when the current Image window has focus, and if something else has snagged the focus then the user ends up doing a double-take as the shortcut doesn't appear to be working "at all".

> Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2011 11:33:10 +0100
> From: thebodzio gmail com
> To: gimp-developer-list gnome org
> Subject: Re: [Gimp-developer] suggestion for new versions of GIMP
>
> I think it's more a call for some specific defaults than for ability to edit keyboard shortcuts.

I can agree with that.  I have some preferred shortcuts of my own which are not the default in GIMP, but definitely work better for me personally.

> Don't take it as a challenge, but I was wondering for some time where
> these concepts really differ (from the user point of view).
Non-destructive Adjustment Layers, for one (not present as of 2.6, but planned and coming).  The last time I used a Photoshop it seemed like all color/brightness adjustments could only be done via Layers, which was a major stumbling block for me because I couldn't find any way to do those same adjustments directly upon the layer.

> Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2011 14:35:04 +0100
> From: thebodzio gmail com
> To: gimp-developer-list gnome org
> Subject: Re: [Gimp-developer] suggestion for new versions of GIMP
>
> > I could easily write a blog post stating why I feel GIMP is in position
> > to be a better program than photoshop for most people in ten years time.
> > Summarised it would be: It's focus is smaller and targetted to what
> > counts,
>
> This "narrow focus" is a double edged blade. And, as for what "counts"
> it's highly subjective matter.

Indeed, very much so.  I have to roll my eyes every time I hear the "free software does not 'compete' with commercial software" argument getting rolled out in a discussion because it does.  At least terms of its general capabilities because otherwise there is no reason for users to want the free option to begin with.  Even so, users also end up making "squeaky wheel" comparisons about the little subtleties that don't affect its overall capabilities, but nonetheless differ between products.

Like one thing I currently wish for:  Grouping the Brushes lists by 'brush family', very analogous to the idea of grouping fonts by font family.

-- Stratadrake
strata_ranger hotmail com