Re: [gedit-list] Switching of tabs with Ctrl+Tab and "internal recency list"

Hi all,

Why not we talk with the gtk developers to add this feature to the notebook control?? I think this feature is interesant for a lot of applications... Pehaps disabling by default and we can enable it in our applications.

Saludos,
    Chuchi

El lun, 19-02-2007 a las 10:37 +0100, Paolo Borelli escribió:
On dom, 2007-02-18 at 10:36 -0800, renergy wrote:

> Bobby Jack wrote:
> >
> > The key point here is that two different things are
> > being discussed: the keyboard shortcut for
> > tab-switching, and the implementation of a 'recency
> > list' for the same. Whilst there have been many good
> > arguments against the use of CTRL-TAB for
> > tab-switching, we haven't heard much about the recency
> > list.
> >

> Hell yeah! Is there a reason not to implement the "recency-aware" tab
> switching?

<snip description>

Sorry, I am not online much these days so I have not read the whole
thread, so sorry if I missed some parts. Here is my take:

 * recent-tab-switching: nice idea and you seem to have a good grasp of
how it should work: how about creating a plugin or making a patch :)
I would be happy to test it/review it and if it's all ok include it in
gedit.

 * about the keybinding: as said by others ctrl+tab is a GNOME-wide
shortcut to move focus which is needed to ensure keyboard navigation
when mouse is not present/usable. Accessibility is a high priority for
gnome and is required to make gnome deployable in public computers. So
this is really something that gedit should not override locally. Feel
free to pick any other shortcut.

ciao
	Paolo

> PS: And still back to Ctrl+Tab. Ok, "getting out of the editbox" is a case
> when it is required. Is there some other case when it is required (to cycle
> the widgets)? I can't think of any.

As said ctrl+tab is a desktop-wide shortcut to move focus without mouse
and is always supposed to work, especially where tab by itself cannot be
used (text entries etc)

>  Then, again, I think my opinion that
> Ctrl+Tab is wasted is a valid one. Is there some other reason for current
> Ctrl+Tab assignment?
>
> To the substitute of Ctrl+Tab - Why not use Shift+Tab for example to get out
> of the editbox?

shift-tab and shift-ctr-tab cycle the focus in backward direction.