[gedit-list] Switching of tabs with Ctrl+Tab and "internal recency list"

Hello there,

Shortly - in my opinion:

Ctrl+Tab should (in Gedit) switch between tabs like Alt+Tab switches between
windows on (e.g.) Metacity!

I mean fast switching between last two tabs (~files) one worked with.

About a year ago I've asked about that functionality on some forum.

Somebody replied - use Ctrl+Alt+PageUp/PageDown. But this switches
(primitively) only to the next/previous tab! It does not have an inner
memory, inner list of tabs, in which the tabs are in the order reflecting
how recently they were used.

When one has multiple files opened and switches frequently between two of
them, it's totally inconvenient that one has to repeatedly press the
combination of three keys and watch the upper bar to see which file is
selected throughout the process! Especially when in some other editors it
suffices to press an easily accessible combination of two keys (Ctrl+Tab)
only once!

Another suggested possibility was Alt+[number], but again, why i would have
* find and remember two numbers first (moreover the number corresponding to
the actual tab is uneasy to find!)
* find them on the keyboard then
whenever I want to switch between two tabs?

But what I really cannot understand, was the remark on the end of the reply
a year ago - something like "Windows habits die hard, huh?".

I'd say, that GOOD, CONVENIENT habits "die hard"!

The shortcut Ctrl+Tab can be easily pressed with one hand, the keys are
rather large and easily hitted - all in all a very convenient shortcut for a
very convenient function. It's also analogous to "Alt+Tab", a well
established shortcut for the switching of active windows.

But the answer said something like "noo, it's reserved for something else".

Could, please. someone participating in the development of Gedit consider
implementning this functionality and shortcut in Gedit?

Thanks for your attention.

Adam

PS: I also don't understand, why Firefox lacks the "recency list". Ctrl+Tab
there switches only to the next tab.