Re: [gedit-list] Special Symbols plugin for gedit

Hi,

> I am using gedit 2.14.4 that comes with Ubuntu 6.06.
> I did not see there the CharMap plugin.
> Can I install it on top of this Gedit version?
> Where can I pick the plugin from?

There is a separate package called gedit-plugins that is maintained by
two members of the gedit team. It contains a charmap plugin too.
I don't know if a Ubuntu package exists for it.
See http://live.gnome.org/GeditPlugins for more info (we are going to
update it with info on how to install/download the package).

> About the "Side Pane". I believe I do not understand.
> You mean a standard Gtk widget, or a Gedit mechanism.
> Can you please refer to an example.
> Do you mean to put the SpecSym window within the main Gedit window?
> It may eat lots of pixel-space which be very precious when editing
> bidirectional text.

Yep, I mean inserting it in the "Side Pane" of gedit, the one you can
open with pressing the F9 key.

> By the way. I there a clean way to define a version
> for a specific plugin via the Gedit plugin interface?

What do you mean?
If you are speaking about the fact a plugin may require a specific
version of gedit, then there is no way.
We should probably add a "Required" field in the .gedit-plugin file.
Could you please file a request for enh on bugzilla.gnome.org with your
comments about feature?

Ciao,