Re: [gdm-list] update

Hi,

On 10/26/07, Bob Doolittle <Robert Doolittle sun com> wrote:
> Mike Oliver wrote:
> > Brian Cameron wrote:
> >
> >> Bob:

> >> It's good to highlight which configuration options that you depend
> >> on, so I appreciate that.  Does Sun Ray support them in per-display
> >> fashion?
> >>

> > Sun Ray doesn't use the per-display feature today but that's what it
> > really should be using.  We expect to switch to using per-display
> > scripts as soon as we can depend on the distro's native GDM to be
> > up-rev enough to support dynamic X server creation and destruction.
> >

> I agree although reluctantly.  A downside of doing
> a lot of configuration (even linking) at dynamic
> session creation is the behavior that occurs when
> there's an out-of-resource condition (e.g. no disk
> space).  The less we have to do "on the fly" the
> more robust our solution.
>
> That said, if we plan to configure different types
> of sessions for different displays, we're forced
> in that direction anyway.
>
> > Today Sun Ray requires the admin to replace the distro's native GDM
> > with a Sun build of GDM that is able to handle dynamic X servers.
> > That build includes its own set of Sun Ray-aware default scripts.
> > Obviously that whole scheme is a hack, and we'd like to see the need
> > for it go away as soon as possible.
> >

> It should be said that the code we've added is in
> the main GDM branch today.  We're just waiting for
> some distros to catch up, and providing our own
> version until they do.  Unfortunately, because we
> can't provide built versions to match every
> distro/patch rev we're sometimes forced to
> actually down-rev the distro's native version with
> a version we built with our fixes merged from the
> main trunk.  It'd be a bit much to expect everyone
> to build GDM from scratch at SRSS installation
> time :) Not to mention unsupportable.

Just to be clear, the code in the main GDM branch (trunk) is
completely new and probably does not include the code you are thinking
of.

>From what I can gather from what you have revealed about the Sun Ray
system it sounds like there is a great deal of overlap with some of
the things we currently have and plan to have in the upstream open
platform.  I think it would be advantageous for everyone to be working
toward a common goal.  In my opinion, it is very hard for this to
happen until you publish your code with a GPL compatible license.

I was pleased to hear you are already considering this.

Let's get that done and then talk about the next steps.

Jon