Re: [gdm-list] Face Browser weirdness in 2.8.0.5

Brandon:

You got to help me out more.  Are you using gdmlogin or gdmgreeter?

Sorry -- we got our signals crossed. I was still talking about the face browser, which AFAIK isn't supported in gdmgreeter.

You can use a gdmgreeter theme like happygnome-list that has a face
browser.

And when I said '300-pixel window,' I meant the smaller space inside the GDM window in which the user icons or faces appear. It doesn't vary in size with different themes, and adding or removing the logo doesn't affect it either.

You might be able to control this via the GtkRC file.  I don't really
understand GtkRc files very well, but you can use them to control the
appearance of widgets.

Perhaps I should try poking around with some more recent development versions, since it looks like there's a lot going on, and rightly so - the login screen is the 'public face' of desktop Linux.

Yes I would accept a patch to further configure the look of the gdmlogin
screen.  Note that using percentages is probably better than pixel sizes
for specifying the size of things so it works at different resolutions.

Refer to the function gdm_login_browser_populate() in gui/gdmlogin.c.
and gdm_login_gui_init() where browser_model is setup.

Note you can set "DOING_GDM_DEVELOPMENT=1" and run the /usr/lib/gdmlogin
and /usr/lib/gdmgreeter program from your session to see how it looks
without having to logout/login/etc. for testing.

Set an environment variable, you mean? I will poke around with that.

Yes, environment variable.

Thanks for working on this and for your prompt replies.

My pleasure.  I'm happy to help you understand the code so you can
make it do what you want.

Brian