[gdm-list] Face Browser weirdness in 2.8.0.5

Tell me if this is fixed in a later version; but I've had very bad luck lately with upgrading to try to fix things.

I just upgraded to 2.8.0.5, which is the 'testing' release of gdm on Debian. The face browser no longer recognizes any of my images, and I don't understand why. gdm.conf distinctly says that files with the name user.png [where 'user' is replaced by the username] in the global faces directory will show up as that user's icon, but they just don't. I've set the default pixmap to another .png and gdm seems to ignore that setting. I went through the GUI config tool and noticed that it created an (undocumented) ~/.face file... but when I made that file look like the one I want, gdm ignored it again. I've tried using an actual file and a symlink and nothing's working. I've set the maximum icon size to be 512 pixels, which is much larger than my image. All my users still look like the corny 'nobody' face, which isn't even IN the config file anymore.

WTF??

If this has been fixed, let me know and I'll upgrade. Or if there's some magic option that tells gdm to ignore changes to the config file or something, let me know.

Regards,
-Brandon