Re: [gdm-list] Face Browser weirdness in 2.8.0.5

On Tue, 14 Mar 2006, Brian Cameron wrote:

Brandon:

I suspect that your problem may do with your file system ownership
and permissions.  Try turning on "Enable=true" in the "debug" section
of your GDM configuration file.  Then see if there are any useful
error messages in the syslog (usually /var/log/messages on Linux).
Usually when GDM ignores files it will display a message to the
log.

Note the RelaxPermissions in the gdm configuration file, this can
be used to tell GDM to not be so picky on the ownership/permissions
of various files.  Does changing RelaxPermissions make things work
better?  If so, it's probably better to fix the permissions issues
rather then relaxing the permissions, but this would identify if
this is the problem.

Another issue is that GDM will *not* load face images over NFS
anymore due to performance issues.  If your global face dir is
NFS mounted, then consider making it local.  If you *really* want
the global face directory to be over NFS, then we probably need to
fix the code to support this.  If this is your problem, I could
guide you how to hack the code to get this working for you.

Brian

Thanks; the problem was filesize and permissions. I had changed the maximum pixel size of the icons, thinking that referred to the face icons, but I hadn't set the filesize to be large enough to accomodate the files. There was also an ownership problem which is fixed now.

I wonder, is it possible to make the GDM window bigger? I have all this empty space on my monitor, and a tiny little 300-pixel window into which I have to pile all the faces of all my users. I don't see a config option for this anywhere, though.

Thanks again,

-Brandon