Re: [gdm-list] Face Browser weirdness in 2.8.0.5

Brandon:

I suspect that your problem may do with your file system ownership
and permissions.  Try turning on "Enable=true" in the "debug" section
of your GDM configuration file.  Then see if there are any useful
error messages in the syslog (usually /var/log/messages on Linux).
Usually when GDM ignores files it will display a message to the
log.

Note the RelaxPermissions in the gdm configuration file, this can
be used to tell GDM to not be so picky on the ownership/permissions
of various files.  Does changing RelaxPermissions make things work
better?  If so, it's probably better to fix the permissions issues
rather then relaxing the permissions, but this would identify if
this is the problem.

Another issue is that GDM will *not* load face images over NFS
anymore due to performance issues.  If your global face dir is
NFS mounted, then consider making it local.  If you *really* want
the global face directory to be over NFS, then we probably need to
fix the code to support this.  If this is your problem, I could
guide you how to hack the code to get this working for you.

Brian

Tell me if this is fixed in a later version; but I've had very bad luck lately with upgrading to try to fix things.

I just upgraded to 2.8.0.5, which is the 'testing' release of gdm on Debian. The face browser no longer recognizes any of my images, and I don't understand why. gdm.conf distinctly says that files with the name user.png [where 'user' is replaced by the username] in the global faces directory will show up as that user's icon, but they just don't. I've set the default pixmap to another .png and gdm seems to ignore that setting. I went through the GUI config tool and noticed that it created an (undocumented) ~/.face file... but when I made that file look like the one I want, gdm ignored it again. I've tried using an actual file and a symlink and nothing's working. I've set the maximum icon size to be 512 pixels, which is much larger than my image. All my users still look like the corny 'nobody' face, which isn't even IN the config file anymore.

WTF??

If this has been fixed, let me know and I'll upgrade. Or if there's some magic option that tells gdm to ignore changes to the config file or something, let me know.

Regards,
-Brandon