Re: syncronizing gconf settings on a network

Joshua N Pritikin wrote:

On Tue, Feb 25, 2003 at 10:22:51AM -0700, Andreas J Guelzow wrote:

Hi I am not sure which problem you are trying to address. We are running gconf on a network of about 50 machines with NFS mounted home directories and things essentially work out of the box. Gconf stores ...

I would love to help but have to understand the problem you are having.

Hrm, well i have three machines which i recently upgraded to gnome 2.2
from debian unstable.  Two of the machines work fine.  On one of the
machines, the desktop *sometimes* comes up with font size = 0.01 points.

/home is NFS mounted.  i'm using the gconf default config, so far.
i suppose the versions software installed on each of my machines are
slightly different.

How do i diagnose & solve this problem?

I assume you are using the nfs-kernel-server if you are using linux on your nfs server (otherwise I would expect you to have more problems). In /etc/hosts.allow on your desktop machines, do you have an ALL:... clause giving permission to the other desktop machines for access? With gnome 1.4 on debian woody that was necessary since libwrap was used and so the client needed to be allowed to access the gconfd server that was possibly still running on another machine. I haven't check whetehr that is also necessary with gnome2.2 on sid.

The interesting question is: When this happens on your desktop machine, is gconfd (any version) running on that machine?

Andreas

--
Prof. Dr. Andreas J. Guelzow
http://www.math.concordia.ab.ca/aguelzow