Re: syncronizing gconf settings on a network

On Sun, Aug 04, 2002 at 12:25:45PM -0400, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> Joshua N Pritikin <vishnu pobox com> writes:
> > i have gconf-2 working on my home network.  /home is NFS mounted across
> > my machines but all other software is per-machine.
> >
> > The funny thing is that gconf has different settings depending on
> > where i run the first gconf application.  i would prefer it if
> > i got the same settings without regard to which machine i start
> > the first gconf application.
> >
> > How do i do this?
> >
> > Can i move the settings to /home somewhere?
>
> Read http://www.gnome.org/projects/gconf for a general idea of what's
> going on.

Yah ...

> Then look at /etc/gconf/2/path (or 1/path for gconf 1) and you'll see
> where it's finding settings. You can point those elsewhere.

Yah, that looks easy.

> You
> probably also need to redirect where apps install schemas (web page
> goes into that some).

Uh, i see lots of stuff in /etc/gconf/schemas.  Can you just tell me
how to point this to /home?  Or tell me where in the documentation
it is documented?

Is there a recipe somewhere for "the 5 steps to make gconf work
well on a network"?  i don't want to understand everything.  i
just want it to _work_.

--
Victory to the Divine Mother!!         after all,
  http://sahajayoga.org                  http://why-compete.org