Re: 0.14.1 vs gcc-3.2

On Monday 09 September 2002 12:38, Vichaya Sidhipong wrote:
>Hi Gene,
>
>On Fri, 6 Sep 2002 21:13:20 -0400
>
>Gene Heskett <gene_heskett iolinc net> wrote:
>> [...]
>> Update, they didn't.  Got worse in fact.  I cleaned out the
>> build dir for gcc3.2, reran the configure using all the
>> defaults, make'd a bootstrap, check and install.  No difference,
>> so I went after qt-3.0.5, but gave it a bunch of options since
>> it defaults to a lot of them off.  Built it, no errors important
>> enough to abort the build.
>>
>> Now I can't even startx, and in garnome-0.14.1/meta/kde I get
>> this for a make:
>> ----------------
>> [...]
>> checking for C compiler default output... configure: error: C
>> compiler cannot create executables
>> [...]
>>
>> Reverting back to qt-3.0.4 as /usr/loca/lqt and startx works,
>> running it now.
>>
>> Ideas?
>
>Whenever you see "C compiler cannot create executable" in
> autoconf/automake and libtool-based projects, you should first
> take a look at "configure.log" to find the exact file/parameters
> that are being given to the compiler. It may be any number of
> things from invalid parameters, to something as basic as having
> no r/x permissions in include or lib directories in the compiler
> search paths.
>
>Having said that, Qt being C++-based, and there are changes in ABI
> between versions 2.95.x, 3.0.x, 3.1.x, and 3.2.x, expect troubles
> during linking if you use different compiler than the one which
> was used to compile Qt.

It appears that I cannot control where the compiler is looking for
its c++ includes, the Makefile apparently being permanently locked
to -I/usr/include, which of course is supposedly deprecated in the
first place, and sure as heck not where gcc3.2 puts them.  The STL
stuffs get put in

/usr/local/gcc3.2/include/c++/3.2/bits

And in one install they wound up in

/usr/local/gcc3.2/include/c++/3.2/i686--pc-linux-gnu/include/

but I tore that one out as being totally unusable in the real world.

This install is almost sane compared to my first two tries.

--
Cheers, Gene
AMD K6-III 500mhz 320M