Re: 0.14.1 vs gcc-3.2

Hi Gene,

On Fri, 6 Sep 2002 21:13:20 -0400
Gene Heskett <gene_heskett iolinc net> wrote:

> [...]
> Update, they didn't.  Got worse in fact.  I cleaned out the build
> dir for gcc3.2, reran the configure using all the defaults, make'd
> a bootstrap, check and install.  No difference, so I went after
> qt-3.0.5, but gave it a bunch of options since it defaults to a lot
> of them off.  Built it, no errors important enough to abort the
> build.
>
> Now I can't even startx, and in garnome-0.14.1/meta/kde I get this
> for a make:
> ----------------
> [...]
> checking for C compiler default output... configure: error: C
> compiler cannot create executables
> [...]
>
> Reverting back to qt-3.0.4 as /usr/loca/lqt and startx works,
> running it now.
>
> Ideas?

Whenever you see "C compiler cannot create executable" in autoconf/automake
and libtool-based projects, you should first take a look at "configure.log"
to find the exact file/parameters that are being given to the compiler.
It may be any number of things from invalid parameters, to something as
basic as having no r/x permissions in include or lib directories in the
compiler search paths.

Having said that, Qt being C++-based, and there are changes in ABI between
versions 2.95.x, 3.0.x, 3.1.x, and 3.2.x, expect troubles during linking
if you use different compiler than the one which was used to compile Qt.

Cheers,
Bill Sidhipong                                         main:   949 341-1900
Systems Administrator                                  fax:    949 341-1901
AXYS Design Automation, Inc.                           direct: 949 341-1931
1 Jenner Drive, Suite 260                              mobile: 949 887-6865
Irvine, CA 92618                                 mailto:  bs axysdesign com
http://www.axysdesign.com