Re: 0.14.1 vs gcc-3.2

On Friday 06 September 2002 04:34, Idan Gazit wrote:

>Gene,
>
>I'm considering a 3.2 build and would be interested in your list
> of "snags" compiling garnome.
>
>Are your troubles exclusively KDE? I won't be building KDE, but if
>the gnome build process becomes laborious I may just pass on using
>3.2.
>
>By and large, do you recommend using gcc-3.2 as your compiler? I
> am busy compiling a clean linux box and I need to decide which
> compiler I will use as my basis. At the behest of some other kind
> soul on the list, I am considering either 2.95.3 or 3.2 but not
> together, because of the ABI changes to C++ compiles; it sounds
> like a real mess later on when I forget which libraries were
> compiled with what. I guess either programs will stop compiling
> or I'll start getting strange segfaults all over the place, and
> neither sounds really appealing.
>
>Thanks in advance!
>
>Idan

My guess is that if it was all installed in the right places, which
I don't think I have yet, it would work just fine.  Its built
everything I threw at it so except kde-3.0.3 via garnome, and
mosfet-liquid, both heavily c++ stuff that needs the 3.2 versions
of the STL headers that aren't located in /usr/include here now.
But based on what I've seen so far, I think I'll do a make clean in
the build directory, and modify the makefile to go ahead and have
it install itself in /usr.  That would make many of my problems go
away I'm sure.

--
Cheers, Gene
AMD K6-III 500mhz 320M