Re: suggestions for gnome-games 2.18

On Tue, 5 Sep 2006, Sander Marechal wrote:

> Date: Tue, 05 Sep 2006 07:45:22 +0200
> From: Sander Marechal <s marechal jejik com>
> To: Alan Horkan <horkana maths tcd ie>
> Cc: games-list gnome org
> Subject: Re: suggestions for gnome-games 2.18
>
> Alan Horkan wrote:
> > If I read it correctly the core of Gnome Hearts uses C but would a version
> > using only C and neither Lua nor Python actually be usable?
> > (Just asking, I dont expect you to do it because even it were possible it
> > could easily be more hassle than it is worth.)

Throwing out suggestions and seeing what sticks...

> Technically it's possible, like it is possible to write interactive
> websites with C instead of Perl/PHP/Python, but I am not even going to
> attempt it. It's not the right tool for the job and debugging AI code in
> C would drive me nuts fairly quickly :-)

I was thinking there might be some mode that didn't require the AI.  That
would rule out any Human versus Computer games and would require 4
networked players.  Perhaps a really stupid simple AI player for absolute
beginners would be possible, I was assuming you had the algorithms all
worked out before tackling something as drastic as a port from Lua to
Python.  I'm sure a few people allergic to dependencies and obsessive
about disk space might use that compile option but for most it would be an
invitation to shoot themselves in the foot.  So yes, bad idea, nevermind.

> Guile instead of Python or Lua would be another option, but I have zero
> experience with Lisp or it's deratives.

Python seems like a good bet and it is impressive that you would be
willing to go to the trouble of rewriting your code in Python.

Best of Luck

Sincerely

Alan Horkan

Inkscape http://inkscape.org