Re: suggestions for gnome-games 2.18

On Sun, 3 Sep 2006, [ISO-8859-1] Andreas Røsdal wrote:

> Date: Sun, 3 Sep 2006 13:18:54 +0200 (CEST)
> From: "[ISO-8859-1] Andreas Røsdal" <andrearo pvv ntnu no>
> To: "[ISO-8859-1] Martin-Éric Racine" <q-funk iki fi>
> Cc: games-list gnome org
> Subject: Re: suggestions for gnome-games 2.18
>
> On Sat, 2 Sep 2006, Martin-Éric Racine wrote:
>
> > Greetings,
> >
> >Having read the request for suggestions, my main one would be to produce
> >a separate package for the card games and to ensure that it builds using
> >bare minimum dependencies, avoiding any dependency beyond GTK2.

Gnome applications in general should try and make it possible to build
using only Gtk and keep the Gnome dependencies as optional extras, if only
for the sake of good engineering and future portability.  I am sure
patches which help improve the configure options would be accepted.

(Gtk doesn't necessarily include librsvg although it usually does and
there will probably be a few other unavoidable dependancies.)

As was mentioned previously it is already possible to compile only
individual games so if a distribution chose to leave out any game they had
maintaince problems with they could easily do so.

The extra data files you complained about such as sounds could potentially
be moved to games-data-extras, especially if they are taking up a lot of
space.

> >That would mean Aisleriot, Blackjack, Freecell and Hearts as a separate
> >package called gnome-card-games, built on extremely spartan dependencies
> >similar to what gnome-hearts currently demands.
>
> Hello and thanks for your suggestions,
>
> It is currently possible to configure which games that should be compiles
> as a parameter to configure, so you may decide which games you want to
> include.
>
> I don't think it's a good idea to create many separate packages for the
> various games.

Card games is a good logical split but unfortunately a less than ideal
technology split since Aisleriot (including Freecell) uses Guile,
Blackjack uses C, and Hearts uses Lua (possibly python instead of Lua but
still yet another language).

Sincerely

Alan Horkan

Inkscape http://inkscape.org