Re: Linking to non-free websites from gnome.org

> The point about that really is that the recent campaign seems to have
> demonstrated that in principle, GNOME already has the infrastructure which
> could allow them to accept money for any given crowdfunding campaign on
> behalf of community driven projects (and any general fundraising too, of
> course). Assuming that this infrastructure is based on free software and
> that it comes without the same kinds of fees as all the crowdfunding sites
> do.

It might be possible to create something like this, but at the moment
GNOME doesn't have the same setup.

The same set up as what?

AFAIK there's a difference between accepting money yourself and an organization on your behalf. It might not be as easy as it appears.

Tax wise it is a different form of expense. Whoever the treasurer is would have to clarify. With that said it seems that the treasurer for a charity of this size would have to be used to managing large sums of money from donations as well as paying salaries, freelancers and expenses as they already have to fill in tax forms every year.

Instead of talking about what should not be done, I'd prefer if we
encourage something to be done.

I will assume you are not talking to me here, since that is exactly what I am doing already.

I don't see how having a banner which endorses an campaign automatically
leads to endorsing something else (the company making the campaign
possible). Maybe sometimes, but at the moment we link to Facebook,
Twitter and Google+ for IMO entirely logical and practical reasons.

 Social links are indeed, a tough call in a question like this. Off hand. twitter does not seem so terrible, but does GNOME actually gain anything from being on facebook to make it worth that, though?

Magdalen