Re: foundation application..

This policy came about after I encouraged interns who were 2/3rd of the way through their internship in
2012 to apply for the Foundation membership. The membership
committee preferred that interns have a chance to figure out their level of participation in GNOME after
the internship before applying and, as a rule, wanted to see non-trivial
contributions for a period longer than 6 months. The intention of having this statement in the internship
wrap-up e-mail is to tell interns about the foundation membership and
encourage them to apply at an appropriate point. I think some guidelines there are preferable to not
mentioning the foundation membership to interns at all. I believe most
interns make non-trivial contributions during their internship, but because the membership committee has
further discretion about the expectations for the membership
applications, we need to figure out how to communicate these in future e-mails in a way that is encouraging
and relates the case-by-case provision of the bylaws.

Interns do indeed make a non-trivial contribution to the project. What
we expect is waiting *two* more months [1] after the internship ended
for them to apply for the Membership Committee to make sure the
individual has a true and real interest in being part of the GNOME
community. We encourage interns to apply and we would love more of
them to do so if they feel their contributions have been non-trivial
enough and they would be willing to participate to Foundation's
debates. Being a Foundation member grants many benefits [2] but also
invites the member to actively participate to discussions made on
foundation-list and voting on the yearly Board elections. Discussing
important topics on foundation-list and voting who will be in charge
of managing the GNOME Foundation requires a certain knowledge of how
the organization and the community works behind the scenes, thus the
need for the contributions to be non-trivial, durable and coming from
an individual who strongly believes in the values and the mission we
daily pursue as a project and community.

[1] https://wiki.gnome.org/MembershipCommittee/ProcessingAnApplication
[2] https://wiki.gnome.org/MembershipCommittee/MembershipBenefits

Andrea

Debian Developer,
Fedora / EPEL packager,
GNOME Infrastructure Team Coordinator,
GNOME Foundation Board of Directors Secretary,

Homepage: http://www.gnome.org/~av