Re: foundation application..

----- Original Message -----
From: "Magdalen Berns" <m berns thismagpie com>
To: "Tobias Mueller" <muelli cryptobitch de>
Cc: "GNOME Foundation" <foundation-list gnome org>
Sent: Friday, February 13, 2015 8:35:17 AM
Subject: Re: foundation application..

This is not a complicated process, it is fairly clear and transparent
(especially when compared with the alternative). What is the problem with
using It?
There is none.

At the moment we are talking about whether it is justifiable to tell all
successful interns that they are not eligible for membership
We're not.

Problem solved. Next.

Really? GNOME have no role in this statement which went out to the OP and
GSoC intern lists in August of 2014?[1] Before denying this is a practice
again, draw your attention to the last line which says" If you only started
contributing to GNOME after February 2014, we ask that you continue
contributing for another half a year before applying
http://www.gnome.org/foundation/membership/apply/ ". The problem cannot be
solved if this continues to be the message going out about GNOME membership
eligibility. That message is not a true reflection of GNOME's actually rules
on membership eligibility.

[1] https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gnome-soc-list/2014-August/msg00000.html

Hi,

This policy came about after I encouraged interns who were 2/3rd of the way through their internship in 2012
to apply for the Foundation membership. The membership committee preferred that interns have a chance to
figure out their level of participation in GNOME after the internship before applying and, as a rule, wanted
to see non-trivial contributions for a period longer than 6 months. The intention of having this statement in
the internship wrap-up e-mail is to tell interns about the foundation membership and encourage them to apply
at an appropriate point. I think some guidelines there are preferable to not mentioning the foundation
membership to interns at all. I believe most interns make non-trivial contributions during their internship,
but because the membership committee has further discretion about the expectations for the membership
applications, we need to figure out how to communicate these in future e-mails in a way that is encouraging
and relates the case-by-case provision of the bylaws.

Thanks,
Marina