Re: foundation application..

Hi Andrea,
On Thu, Feb 12, 2015 at 12:24 PM, Andrea Veri <av gnome org> wrote:

What you are suggesting would be accepting every single intern
regardless of this person being really interested and passionate about
joining the Foundation. That will probably lead to a wider membership
base for sure but how long these people are going to really stay
around if their interest of contributing to the project was only
tracked by the stipend they received?

I don't think that this is necessarily different from other paid
contributors, except that other paid contributors are more likely to have
long-term employment working on GNOME. So I don't know why this distinction
is made. Can you explain the rationale a bit more?

The question I originally made to Magdalen was there for me to find
out whether an intern really had an interest in joining the Foundation
besides from receiving a travel subsidy or participation to Planet
GNOME. The rationale behind introducing a two months extended period
for interns before applying for Foundation membership has been the
unfortunately high number of interns dramatically reducing the number
of their contributions after the final date of their internship. I can
tell you that statistically this hasn't been the case for past
employees of our corporate sponsors as many of them have decided to
stick around (by reducing their involvement to IRC or mailing lists
participation) or apply for the emeritus membership when they weren't
able to contribute to the project anymore.

Andrea

Debian Developer,
Fedora / EPEL packager,
GNOME Infrastructure Team Coordinator,
GNOME Foundation Board of Directors Secretary,

Homepage: http://www.gnome.org/~av