Re: Question for candidates

Nobody ever got a "command" to start a new GNU package, because GNU
package developers are volunteers.  When people are interested in
starting a GNU package, they talk with me about it and we decide
jointly that it is one.  In the 1990s that was a very informal
process.  That's how GNOME was started, except that I think I
discussed the need with Miguel before he started it.

GNOME was conceived as a GNU package since the beginning, which is why
it has the name GNOME (GNU Network Object Model Environment, initially).

The reason why the GNU Project and the FSF help GNOME development, and
encourage people to use GNOME both as end users and as application
developers, is that helping GNOME is helping GNU.

Miguel made important contributions to free software.  GNOME was not
his first.  Then he changed and started neglecting freedom, and
finally denigrating it.  Neither one cancels the other.  But recall
how his name came into this discussion: citing what he said in a
memoir that he wrote after rejecting the principles of free software.

--
Dr Richard Stallman
President, Free Software Foundation