Re: question for candidates

Hi Andy

On 2014-05-20 11:56, Andy Tai <atai gnu org> wrote:
GNOME's core toolkit, gtk+, is used by numerous projects.  Currently gtk+
development seems to be driven mainly by the GNOME desktop.  However, gtk+
also play critical roles in other free software projects, like MATE, XFCE,
and the Cinnamon desktop, and large applications like GIMP, Inkscape, etc.

What are your views on the participation of the people of these projects,
as stake holders in the direction of gtk+, in the GNOME Foundation?

Anyone who contributes to GNOME should feel welcome to become a GNOME Foundation member. However, I do not think that just using a GNOME technology, such as GTK+, is enough to satisfy the requirements for becoming a member of the Foundation. If someone has a strong track record of contributions to GTK+, that would seems to be good justification for joining the Foundation.

The best way that the Foundation currently has for the "stakeholder" style of involvement is probably the advisory board:

https://wiki.gnome.org/AdvisoryBoard

The advisory board is a way for companies and organisations to give feedback to the Foundation board, and this seems like the ideal venue for stakeholders in GNOME technologies.

Should
the GNOME Foundation encourage (reach out to) these people to get them
involved in the GNOME Foundation so they also have a say and even
contribute to gtk+ so gtk+ can continue to serve their needs well,
important for the continuing successes of gtk+ in the free software world?

As the Foundation is not involved with the day-to-day running of the GTK+ project, it is probably not helpful to join the Foundation if the purpose is solely to influence the direction of GTK+.

I am not a GTK+ developer, but I have found the GTK+ developers to be responsive at reviewing patches which I have submitted. I think that the best way to influence the direction of the GTK+ project is to contribute, which could take the form of bug reports, code, design work or something else.

A good way for the Foundation to support GTK+ development is to financially support hackfests, such as the recent Developer Experience hackfest, held in Berlin, where there was progress on several GTK+ topics. While the Foundation rarely financially supports attendance at hackfests for those who are not members, a strong track record of contributions makes it easier to justify occasional exceptions.

--
http://amigadave.com/