Re: volunteer! (was Re: Board of Directors Elections 2014 - Candidacy - Karen Sandler)

On 22 May 2014 02:05, Karen Sandler <karen gnome org> wrote:
On 2014-05-21 13:35, Jeff Fortin wrote:

Not to say that candidates shouldn't have a minimum commitment/know what
the heck they're getting into, but at the same time, there's only so
much people can do *in their spare time* with their daily life
commitments.

As has been mentioned many times, it's a heck of a lot of work to be a GNOME
board member and there are a lot of action items that get generated,
especially while we're in transition on ED. The work load is just really
high.

While everyone's paying close attention to these issues, I had an idea that
I thought I'd throw out there: I think it would be awesome if we could have
a list of volunteers who the board can ask to do some of the action items.
It could be a relatively low impact way to get some experience working on
things connected to the Foundation's operations and help out (and build a
resume for a future board candidacy). Some things will obviously need to be
handled by a board member, like things that are for some reason confidential
or needed to be handled by someone with corporate authority but things like:
"research payment options for website" or "price out different sticker
suppliers" or even "email foundation-list to set up a meeting" are things
that are easy to take one-off and add up for board members. We could call it
the Executive Assistance Committee or something like that (if we add GNOME
in front of that, we could be the GEACs, pronouned Geeks!) and if some
people linger in a special IRC channel (#assist?) especially during meetings
it will make it even easier for them to help out and be low impact for the
board to contact them.

There's already an action item which is ready for volunteers to take
up that was sent to foundation-list recently:
https://mail.gnome.org/archives/foundation-list/2014-May/msg00003.html

That email does not go into much detail, but essentially, we need a
report on the options and how much they would cost us so that we can
assess whether it's worth outsourcing handling of Friends of GNOME
gifts.

Want to help? Sign up, and say if there are areas you're particularly
interested or experienced for (though anyone could be pinged for anything).
For example, I volunteer myself (in the case I am not elected):

Karen Sandler: legal or fundraising related things in particular

I'm so excited by all of the interest right now and thinking we should take
advantage :D

karen