Re: Board of Directors Elections 2014 - Candidacy - Karen Sandler

----- Original Message -----
From: "Zeeshan Ali (Khattak)" <zeeshanak gnome org>
To: "Oliver Propst" <oliver propst gmail com>
Cc: "foundation-announce" <foundation-announce gnome org>, "Foundation-List" <foundation-list gnome org>,
elections gnome org
Sent: Tuesday, May 20, 2014 9:17:26 AM
Subject: Re: Board of Directors Elections 2014 - Candidacy - Karen Sandler

Hi Karen,

On Tue, May 20, 2014 at 9:36 AM, Oliver Propst <oliver propst gmail com>
wrote:
On Sat, May 17, 2014 at 4:14 PM, Karen Sandler <karen gnome org> wrote:
Affiliation: Software Freedom Conservancy. I'm also pro bono General
Counsel
of QuestionCopyright.Org, and an advisor of The Ada Initiative and
sometimes
help other orgs (like the FSF) on legal and other free software related
matters.

As promised when I left the position of Executive Director, I'd like to
throw my hat in the ring for the Board of Directors. I think I can help
bring continuity to the board (Stormy was incredibly helpful on the board
when I started as ED). Also, as a lawyer I sometimes have an additionally
useful perspective. I'm still doing volunteer work for GNOME both as pro
bono counsel and as a volunteer on nonlegal matters for GNOME. I've been
helping with fundraising, collecting on outstanding invoices and generally
wherever I can.
You are a very busy person with many responsibilities, if you get
elected to the Board do you feel confident that you can spend the
necessary time on Board work?

While I think you do a lot for Free Software and your passion and work
inspires many, I'm afraid I do share Oliver's concern here.

It's not just the time commitment we are looking for in the board members, but also experience. Karen has a
tremendous amount of experience in free software non-profit space. In the last two months, she has been very
generous with her time as a volunteer for GNOME.

Thanks,
Marina

--
Regards,