volunteer! (was Re: Board of Directors Elections 2014 - Candidacy - Karen Sandler)

On 2014-05-21 13:35, Jeff Fortin wrote:

Not to say that candidates shouldn't have a minimum commitment/know what
the heck they're getting into, but at the same time, there's only so
much people can do *in their spare time* with their daily life
commitments.

As has been mentioned many times, it's a heck of a lot of work to be a GNOME board member and there are a lot of action items that get generated, especially while we're in transition on ED. The work load is just really high.

While everyone's paying close attention to these issues, I had an idea that I thought I'd throw out there: I think it would be awesome if we could have a list of volunteers who the board can ask to do some of the action items. It could be a relatively low impact way to get some experience working on things connected to the Foundation's operations and help out (and build a resume for a future board candidacy). Some things will obviously need to be handled by a board member, like things that are for some reason confidential or needed to be handled by someone with corporate authority but things like: "research payment options for website" or "price out different sticker suppliers" or even "email foundation-list to set up a meeting" are things that are easy to take one-off and add up for board members. We could call it the Executive Assistance Committee or something like that (if we add GNOME in front of that, we could be the GEACs, pronouned Geeks!) and if some people linger in a special IRC channel (#assist?) especially during meetings it will make it even easier for them to help out and be low impact for the board to contact them.

Want to help? Sign up, and say if there are areas you're particularly interested or experienced for (though anyone could be pinged for anything). For example, I volunteer myself (in the case I am not elected):

Karen Sandler: legal or fundraising related things in particular

I'm so excited by all of the interest right now and thinking we should take advantage :D

karen