Re: Some questions for the candidates

Tobias:

On 06/ 7/13 04:51 AM, Tobias Mueller wrote:
On 06.06.2013 23:04, Brian Cameron wrote:
Advisory board members are encouraged to join when there is clear
value in doing so.  What work has been done over the past year to
increase this value or effectively communicate such values?
Off the top of my hat, I don't know any actions that were done
pro-actively to "increase value for the advisory board". But I may well
be corrected. We are primarily a Free Software community, after all. So
the bigger part of our focus shall be our community and our software.

I would say that the Annual Report is a primary vehicle for
communicating value, which is why it has always been important to make
sure that existing and potential advisory board members get copies to
help them justify their contributions with their management.

I have noticed the GNOME Foundation continues to do a good job in making
the report, but it has always a struggle to put together.  The GNOME
Foundation has always done very work-intensive and professional-looking
glossy reports thanks to volunteer effort.  Using it to effectively
helping advisory board members understand the value and values of the
community is a hard thing to properly attract advisory board
membership, and this only one aspect of what such reports need to do.

If you have any suggestions as to how to increase the value, I am
confident that all current and running members of the board are
interested to hear them. Or better: Seeing them implemented ;-)

I do not have any particular suggestions beyond keep up the good work
with marketing efforts like the Annual Report and FoG programs.  I was
more just curious to hear more about the relations between the board
and advisory board these days and to generally discuss.

---

Brian