Re: A few observations about GIMPNET

On Mon, 2012-10-15 at 13:55 +0200, Andrea Veri wrote:
> 2012/10/15 Tristan Van Berkom <tvb gnome org>:
>
> > Again, how do you expect to achieve this hypothetical migration ?
> >
> > You will post a memo and people will just happily follow the
> > foundation's decree ?
> >
> > I think you've misunderstood how things work in the real world.
> > Unless you actually pull the plug on GimpNET, which would probably
> > make at least a few of us sad, you will get a situation where possibly
> > some projects will follow you, most will remain where they've always
> > been comfortable, and you will get a situation of segregation, where
> > we used to be all united in GimpNET, now half of the projects will
> > be chatting on Freenode.
>
> That's why I've raised my concerns about the current situation and
> that's why we are currently discussing it. Migrating or not migrating
> will probably be a Board's decision but you may understand that the
> current situation has to be improved in some way, we don't want to
> migrate? OK, but GIMPNET should act and discuss with us (the GNOME
> community) a possible solution, I'm sure we can find a deal.
>
> cheers,
>
> Andrea

By the way, I just remembered, there's a Supybot plugin that allows
people to communicate in two different channels on two different
networks.  I've seen it work, although it was a bit weird and took some
getting used to, but it does work.

So in this case, you could theoretically create channels on Freenode
that you think people will flock to, and whatever they post in that
channel will also be seen (and hopefully responded to) by the
sister-channel on GIMPNet.  And vice versa.

Thus handle the marketing aspect of reaching more users without
upheaving existing GIMPNet community participants.

Bryen