Re: A few observations about GIMPNET

2012/10/15 Emmanuele Bassi <ebassi gmail com>:

> have we had any indication that being on irc.gnome.org is in any way,
> shape, or form preventing people from contributing to GNOME - and that
> moving to freenode would open the floodgates to new contributors?

Freenode has more than 80000 users and I'm pretty much sure a lot of
new contributors willing to join the GNOME Project are looking for
#gnome-* channels there and not on GIMPNET which is a network with
less than 2000 users connected per day, it's a matter of numbers.

> I understand the "improving the infrastructure" angle, but a wholesale
> migration to a new infrastructure is a jump I honestly cannot make.
> it's like moving our bug tracking system to Launchpad, or our Git
> repositories ot Gitorious.

No, that's not the same sorry, moving from Bugzilla to LP is a
completely different move since the software itself will change and
contributors will have to make their way into understanding a
completely new way of managing bugs. Freenode is an IRC network like
GIMPNET but it has many more features and benefits, the migration will
increase people's productivity and since irc.gnome.org is a pure
redirect many people won't even notice the change.

cheers,

Andrea