Re: A few observations about GIMPNET

hi;

On 15 October 2012 11:32, Andrea Veri <av gnome org> wrote:
> 2012/10/15 Emmanuele Bassi <ebassi gmail com>:
>
>> have we had any indication that being on irc.gnome.org is in any way,
>> shape, or form preventing people from contributing to GNOME - and that
>> moving to freenode would open the floodgates to new contributors?
>
> Freenode has more than 80000 users and I'm pretty much sure a lot of
> new contributors willing to join the GNOME Project are looking for
> #gnome-* channels there and not on GIMPNET which is a network with
> less than 2000 users connected per day, it's a matter of numbers.

again, that's like saying that we ought to move to GitHub or Gitorious
because "they have more users than git.gnome.org". it's an obviously
true statement: freenode, like GitHub, hosts a ton of projects; the
statement above, though, forgets that there are branding reasons
associated with having infrastructure under the *.gnome.org domain, as
well as historical ones.

plus, I have yet to see the justification for the "if you move it,
they will come" attitude. we're already exposed to more users than the
80 thousands on freenode: it's not the IRC network that makes them
contribute to our project (we'd also be self-selecting against the
subset of users that know or use IRC); users join irc.gnome.org
*after* they start contributing to GNOME.

ciao,
 Emmanuele.

--
W: http://www.emmanuelebassi.name