Re: A few observations about GIMPNET

On Thu, 2012-10-04 at 18:24 +0200, Andrea Veri wrote:
> Yeah, the suffix #gnome-$(channel_name) should help with that and many
> other large projects are living on Freenode since several years and
> they are able to administer the relevant channels with the proper ACLs
> without delays and problems, so finding a channel could be a problem
> for the very first months.
>
> cheers,
>
> Andrea

Might be more interesting to do a survey.  Find out how many of us on
GIMPNET are also on FREENODE.  If there's a huge number, then that could
also make a compelling case to migrate over.

Also, another downside (or upside, depending on how you view it) is that
people not on GIMPNET but already on FREENODE may not know that GIMPNET
exists and miss out on opportunities to join channels.   This is all
theoretical of course without any hard data, but makes you wonder
whether we are not maximizing the attraction of potential new
contributors to the project by being on a separate island.

One drawback to Freenode however is their webclient for IRC.  It
requires use of captcha, which makes it almost impossible for some a11y
users to come into Freenode.

Bryen