Re: A few observations about GIMPNET

On Mon, Oct 15, 2012 at 7:23 PM, Andrea Veri <av gnome org> wrote:
> 2012/10/15 Bastien Nocera <hadess hadess net>:
>> On Sun, 2012-10-14 at 15:45 +0200, Andrea Veri wrote:
>>> I see many people have expressed their consensus in this, thus I'll
>>> defer the decision to the Board. Thanks to anyone sending a mail about
>>> this concern.
>>
>> 3 people agreeing with you isn't consensus.
>
> I said *many* people gave their consensus about a possible move but I
> didn't see a *single* mail saying we should stay on GIMPNET for the X,
> Y, Z reason. The rationale behind this discussion is really simple, a
> lot of networks are offering an IRC hosting that has several benefits,
> services and tools that will definitely improve contributor's lives
> and workflows in many ways. I don't think you would stick with an
> hosting that gives you one benefit when you can have another one that
> offers you four benefits for the same price, it's a matter of
> convenience.

Ok, one very big convenience is simply that gimpnet has
been around for a long time, and we already use it.

It's a pretty big advantage, it means that if you move your
project channel away from there, people will be confused
and not immediately find you.

At any rate, is this discussion about actually shutting down
GimpNET ? Is that even in our power ?

If not, I suggest this discussion be more reasonably focused
on potentially migrating the #foundation channel to freenode,
if that's what we really want (it's not like you can flip a switch
and every project that hangs out on gimpnet will agree to
follow you to freenode).

Cheers,
         -Tristan