Re: A few observations about GIMPNET

hi;

On 15 October 2012 11:23, Andrea Veri <av gnome org> wrote:
> 2012/10/15 Bastien Nocera <hadess hadess net>:
>> On Sun, 2012-10-14 at 15:45 +0200, Andrea Veri wrote:
>>> I see many people have expressed their consensus in this, thus I'll
>>> defer the decision to the Board. Thanks to anyone sending a mail about
>>> this concern.
>>
>> 3 people agreeing with you isn't consensus.
>
> I said *many* people gave their consensus about a possible move but I
> didn't see a *single* mail saying we should stay on GIMPNET for the X,
> Y, Z reason.

the first few reasons off the top of my head:

 1. brand association
 2. pre-existing community
 3. control over the infrastructure

all I've seen in this thread is a call to improve Gimpnet, not to
migrate wholesale; honestly, I'd hate for us to end up inside an
anonymous network like freenode and dilute our brand - and I've yet to
see a rationale for the benefits (perceived or otherwise) that moving
to freenode would give us; I don't see people waiting in the wings
(or, worse, refusing) to join the GNOME project because of the IRC
server/network that we use.

ciao,
 Emmanuele.

--