Re: GNOME now

On 28 Nov 2012, at 16:11, Alan Cox <alan lxorguk ukuu org uk> wrote:

If you look at say a modern digital TV - which is a product that
notoriously has to deal with everyone from the totally tech clueless to
the video nuts who want to hand adjust everything then it is all in the
settings.

Most of it you don't notice because there are usually options in the
settiings that basically look like

   Audio Balance:    Standard   Clear Voice   User Defined

and only if someone goes and selects user defined does the page of
configuration material actually show itself. That's good design because
it is discoverable, it is easy to back away from and also because it
means the user defined settings can be fiddled with and are not lost when
you flip back to a safe default. Rather they are kept and flipping back
to user defined goes back to them as left.

Much of this stuff in Gnome IMHO belongs in settings in that same kind of
way.

My TV is insanely configurable, but while I personally don't fiddle with
the configuration much it doesn't get in the way. At worst the user
experience is a one off

   "I wonder what 'user defined' is
    click
    ooh not what I wanted
    click"

and only while exploring the settings by choice

Your TV allows that:

I don't think we want to compare GNOME to TVs with awful UIs.