Re: GNOME now

hi;

On 28 November 2012 14:42, Emily Gonyer <emilyyrose gmail com> wrote:
>> with the first one being the one shipped by default.
>
> Lets be intellectually honest - a command line client editor is *NOT*
> user-friendly.

I don't agree at all with this assessment: it depends entirely on the
audience it is targeting.

> Having two other editors to edit various things doesn't
> make sense - why can't everything be shipped in the *same* UI client?

because the amount of available options is, currently, not something
that should even be exposed; applications use the settings machinery
to save state, as well as user preferences, and that should not be
exposed to any user - including the one of tinkering tendencies.

> And why can't it be shipped by default? Whats wrong with that?

that is not entirely our decision, considering that GNOME is currently
shipped by distributions downstream of us. the most that GNOME as
project can do is saying the the tweak tool is part of the project.

as a personal opinion, I don't agree that the tweak tool should be
installed by default; it can be pointed out in the documentation as a
way to get more options, but it's really up to the user to decide
whether or not she should install it. the user experience should stand
by itself.

ciao,
 Emmanuele.

--