Re: GNOME now

Hi,

On 11/28/2012 02:33 PM, Emmanuele Bassi wrote:
On 28 November 2012 11:02, Alan Cox <alan lxorguk ukuu org uk> wrote:
And if GNOME continues to bury all the configuration in secret corners
without a UI, and even the basic stuff only by an add on (tweak tool)
you'll continue to fail to empower users to modify their computing
environment.

yes, because we all know that Freedom means Tweaking configuration
options, or *having* to modify your environment in order for it to
work.

Is that what Alan said? Sensible defaults and UIless options are two different things. I'd argue that an UIless option is just as much of a fudge as an option in the UI - if there's no UI for it, why is it an option? Just use the default & remove the code paths handling the option.

To put it another way: You don't have to weld to hood shut to sell someone a functional car.

Cheers,
Dave.

--
Dave Neary, Lyon, France