Re: GNOME now

On Wed, Nov 28, 2012 at 9:33 AM, Emmanuele Bassi <ebassi gmail com> wrote:
> hi Dave;

>>> yes, because we all know that Freedom means Tweaking configuration
>>> options, or *having* to modify your environment in order for it to
>>> work.
>>

>> Is that what Alan said? Sensible defaults and UIless options are two
>> different things. I'd argue that an UIless option is just as much of a fudge
>> as an option in the UI - if there's no UI for it, why is it an option? Just
>> use the default & remove the code paths handling the option.
>
> you probably missed the fact that there is a UI for the options. it's
> an optional UI exactly because the default is sensible and should be
> enough — unless you're planning to tinker with it, in which case the
> UI is available to you. there are actually *three* UIs:
>
>   - the gsettings command line client;
>   - the dconf-editor UI client;
>   - the "tweak" UI client;
>
> with the first one being the one shipped by default.

Lets be intellectually honest - a command line client editor is *NOT*
user-friendly. Having two other editors to edit various things doesn't
make sense - why can't everything be shipped in the *same* UI client?
And why can't it be shipped by default? Whats wrong with that? I love
GNOME by-and-large the way it ships, but that doesn't mean I can't
empathize with those who do not. When we make changes to the shell
hard for the average end-user we effectively clamp down on choice. If
thats not our intention, then we need to figure out how we are going
to make basic changes to the environment accessible.