Re: Looking for community managers or enthusiasts!

I think that overall, what GNU could do to change it is figure out what are the LLVM guys doing to be such an attractive compiler platform compared to GCC. LLVM is a compiler platform, it gives you many APIs and reusable components that you can use at different levels, for example, clang, a C compiler built on top of LLVM, allows you to do static analysis of code, quite handy if you are developing an IDE or if you want continuous integration.

In the graphics stack it is used to compile GLSL, OpenCL and other GPU/parallel languages down to the GPU native language.

From my point of view, if GCC is not providing what LLVM does, I can't see how using code that has a BSD-like license (and effectively becomes (L)GPL once linked to our stuff) does any harm to the values that we spread as a project.

While we are in the topic of keeping GNU relevant, I think a major effort to modernize autotools and other developer tools, document them properly, having a nice UI and make it more developer friendly is long overdue. In general I think that the core of GNU still keeps a 90s mindset. When you compare the developer experience of the GNU toolchain these days to, for example, .NET, iOS/XCode, Java/Eclipse... the dissapointment is huge.

If we don't keep GNU attractive to developers people will eventually stop writing free software. (And yes, for the wrong reasons, but sometimes being free as in beer is not enough).

I hope you find my input constructive.