Re: Looking for community managers or enthusiasts!

Sriram Ramkrishna <sri <at> ramkrishna.me> writes:

> There was nothing more damaging than Company's post which is still quoted
> even today.  Benjamin even today said that nobody refuted his "staring at the
> Abyss" post.  So his Benjamin's post true?  Because people are still talking
> about it and referencing it.  It was  gift that continues to keep on giving.
> What Benjamin posted was totally fine by me, he has a right to air his
> concerns in public.  It is a public project after all.

The general response I got to that post was either no response at all, talking
behind my back about what what a bad person I am (at least that's what others
told me) or - and this was the most concerning response for me - "You shouldn't
say things like that." And that response came multiple times from very different
GNOME contributors. So the lesson I learned back then is that rule number 1
about the GNOME project is that you don't talk about the GNOME project.

Fwiw, I still don't think Emily should characterize me as "break[ing] API’s at
random" and "purposefully ensuring that [..] themes cease to work", but I think
she has all the right in the world to do that as long as I get the right to use
my choice words to answer to that. I'd rather have her calling me that than
nobody saying anything at all.

> I can understand that their intentions are noble, but the last time someone
> took their chances we ended up with:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNOME#cite_note-6

Fun fact: I didn't know I ended up on Wikipedia (Someone should file a bug
against Wordpress' pingback feature). Isn't it discouraged to cite blogs on
Wikipedia? [1] :)

Benjamin

1: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Blogs_as_sources