Re: Looking for community managers or enthusiasts!

On Wed, Nov 14, 2012 at 5:37 PM, Debarshi Ray <rishi is lostca se> wrote:
> Maybe private email? Maybe bringing it up in a different way? Sri's
> initial email didn't mention Emily at all - were you just waiting for an
> opportunity to bring up your discontent?

The point still remains that people posting on Planet GNOME should be more
informed about what they write. Especially when they are writing about a
sensitive topic and their words can be interpreted by outsiders as coming from
a position of authority.

I take some responsibility for the post.  Emily ran it by me before posting it and I thought it was fine.  She did attempt to get feedback before posting.  Maybe I failed her there.

There was nothing more damaging than Company's post which is still quoted even today.  Benjamin even today said that nobody refuted his "staring at the Abyss" post.  So his Benjamin's post true?  Because people are still talking about it and referencing it.  It was  gift that continues to keep on giving.  What Benjamin posted was totally fine by me, he has a right to air his concerns in public.  It is a public project after all.  I will argue the same for Emily.

All most people will get out of Emily's post is that communication is important.  Maybe it was a bit inartful, but I think we should forgive that.

I can understand that their intentions are noble, but the last time someone
took their chances we ended up with:
http://en.wikipedia.orgkeeps/wiki/GNOME#cite_note-6

Again, nobody refuted it.  So is it true?  Did we have a legion of developers saying otherwise?  How many posts did we have refuting that?  Two or three?

Biting the hand that feeds you [1] is not the answer to effective
communication.

Is communications both internally and externally not important?

sri

Happy hacking,
Debarshi

[1] http://todoentiempo.wordpress.com/2012/11/13/open-communication/#comment-574
--
There are two hard problems in computer science: cache invalidation, naming
things and off-by-one errors.