Re: Could a few influential GNOME develoers join gnu-prog-discuss gnu org?

    The way the comment was presented (and granted, we're missing
    context here) was as if this behavior was a bug.

I doubt anyone believed the behavior was unintentional.
So it's definitely not a bug in the strict sense of the term.
The question raised in that discussion was whether this behavior
was better or worse than an alternative.

I mentioned that issue as an example of a discussion, not in order to
argue about it at length.  But since we're talking about it, here's a
suggestion people might perhaps like.

When creating a directory named with a translation of the word
"Desktop", for use as a desktop, how about making that a symlink to
"Desktop" under suitable circumstances?  That way, if you change
locales, you will still have the same desktop contents.

--
Dr Richard Stallman
President, Free Software Foundation