Re: Could a few influential GNOME develoers join gnu-prog-discuss gnu org?

On Wed, 2012-01-18 at 19:32 +0100, Michael Hasselmann wrote:
> On Wed, 2012-01-18 at 18:25 +0100, Johannes Schmid wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > > A GNOME developer in the list would have seen this and could have
> > > responded, raises the issue in the appropriate GNOME list, or whatever
> > > is TRT.  It isn't feasible for me, and I don't know who to ask.
> >
> > No, that's not how the world works!
> >
> > The person asking should have brought it up on a GNOME (or in this case
> > xdg) mailing list. This is how things work - you complain to the people
> > responsible instead of waiting for someone to magically speak up.
>
> To me it seems that we're ignoring this:
> "GNOME is proud to be a part of the GNU Project." (from
> gnome.org/about).
>
> So by extension, a GNU mailing list is the perfect place to discuss
> matters that also affect GNOME.
>
> The rejective attitude towards joining a GNU mailing list that I see
> here should then result in GNOME leaving the GNU project. Then above
> statement can be removed from the website.
>
> I know this is an old flamebait, but if no one here who is still active
> ("influential") in GNOME is openly pro-GNU, then it's time to openly
> admit that.

I'm pro-GNU. I'm anti-yet-another-mailing-list. I don't mind
joining a list if it is the natural place to discuss specific
collaboration issues. But in the one example given, the place
to discuss it is xdg-list, and possibly desktop-devel-list.

Maybe there are discussions that GNOME developers ought to be
a part of. But without public list archives, who knows?

--
Shaun