Re: Could a few influential GNOME develoers join gnu-prog-discuss gnu org?

On Wed, 2012-01-18 at 12:30 +0100, Julien Puydt wrote:
> Le 18/01/2012 03:36, Richard Stallman a écrit :
> > (I think that person was right: learning one English word `Desktop' is
> > not much of a burden, and on the other hand, this feature can cause a
> > real nuisance for users that use multiple locales.)
>
> If I choose my session in ..., I expect each and every single word to be
> in ... with a correct spelling!
>
> I really don't like that "eh, just one English word to learn, deal with
> it" condescending tone.
>
> Snark on #gnome-hackers

+1. I changed locale to English because I used a lot of testing programs
and I was annoyed when the programs was half-translated (say - "Do you
want to save? Tak/Nie/Anuluj" - the buttons were translated because they
used standard GTK+ API but not the message). However probably I knew
English sufficiently to be able to use computer localised in such way
and many people might not know it sufficiently well.

It might affect especially the "older"[1] people who are not exactly
computer literate and they have already problems using computers AND
don't know English (even though they may still be well-educated and may
know several foreign languages - English was just not as important when
they were in schools in that region of world). I would say it is part of
accessibility.

Regards

[1] The exact boundary varies from country to country etc. It might
happen that "older" people, as used in this sentence, are 20-years-old.