Re: Questions for all board candidates

On Thu, 2011-05-26 at 05:43 -0700, Jeff Schroeder wrote:
> 1.) For incumbents, have you missed any meetings? What is your % of
> missed vs attended meetings and why? For new challengers, how much
> time can you dedicate to working on the board each week? How do you
> plan on spending that time?

I believe I missed one meeting during the Christmas period. But I'm sure
you'll be able to verify this from the meeting minutes.

> 2.) Other open source / free software projects run their meetings in
> the open via IRC (such as Fedora's FESCO I believe). Would you
> consider that, and if not,

FesCo is a purely technical Board. It doesn't handle money, doesn't so
much handle political problems that should be kept private (at least
during their resolution phase), so comparing the GNOME Foundation Board
to them is not a fair comparison.

Note that we also, when available, have our meetings via phone, rather
than on IRC, which is a better medium for some of the discussions we
have, as there would be a lot of to and fro in those cases.

>  what about recording how board members vote
> on a given topic. This includes +1 / -1 / abstains and perhaps give a
> small comment on any -1 or abstain.

Stormy brought this up last year, to a number of individual members of
the Board, but we failed to put it in place. It places a large strain on
the minute taker though, so I guess we'll have to see the technicalities
of implementing it.

>  In my opinion, as an open
> foundation, the transparency of the board is absolutely critical
> _where possible_. Leaders should always set the example for members.

Agreed.

Cheers