Re: GNOME: lack of strategic roadmap

El mié, 03-03-2010 a las 02:36 +0100, Philip Van Hoof escribió:
> On Tue, 2010-03-02 at 18:19 -0700, Stormy Peters wrote:
> > People are not interested in having this argument and you are causing
> > people to unsubscribe to the Foundation List and to quit
> > participating.
>
> That's their action. And you can't control that.
>
> (what's your point?)

Her point Philip is that you seem to keep picking fights in this list
and hijacking threads for that purpose.

If you check this thread you'll see that it all started with an email
exchange between Iván Frade, Richard Stallman and me. We discussed a way
to enhance experience, Richard reminded us that we shouldn't be careless
about adding support for propietary platforms because of the potential
misinterpretation:

        I am only saying that if we develop software specifically to
        work with Facebook, we should take care to prevent it from
        conveying the message "Use Facebook!"

And in a later email:

        The line between "working with facebook" and "specifically
        encouraging use of facebook" is a subtle one.

I never saw Richard's aggressive questions about our morality as GNOME
programmers, I only saw a suggestion and a reminder.

However, you chose to kept arguing about how Richard had "insulted
[y]our morality and that of all GNOME programmers". I'm a GNOME
programmer, and the people that have expressed his "deep disagreement"
with your attitude are also GNOME programmers.

> > If people don't respond, assume they are not interested in that topic.
>
> Sure.
>
> > I will not be replying to this thread publicly any more.
>
> Although your reply is fair, I did ask these three questions:
>
>   1) > Why didn't the GNOME Foundation take a stance on that?

We can't produce statements for every disagreement in Foundation list.
Specially if it seems to be a personal quest.
This is not the first time, please stop trying to drag this list and the
Foundation itself into a quest to outvoice others.

>   2) > Wasn't that formulation starting an argument with me?

No, it wasn't.

>   3) > And how wasn't it? If it wasn't.

We pay Stormy for advancing GNOME, this thread /was/ about a big GNOME
roadmap for the years to come. However you hijacked it, it is no longer
about GNOME's future, it's now about discussing things with you, all
about you.

Stormy is acting on the Foundation's interest by saving us valuable
money by not wasting it in discussions like this.

I, on the other hand, am donating time to try to make things clear with
you.