Re: GNOME Speaker Guidelines

On Sat, Jun 26, 2010 at 7:09 AM, Richard Stallman <rms gnu org> wrote:
I am proud of my Saint IGNUcius routine.  Thousands of people have
laughed at it.  The routine makes fun of people, especially Emacs
users, but does not insult or attack anyone, not even Emacs users.  It

Hi Richard,

Like all things our community continues to evolve and what might be great back in the good ol days might not be now.  Historically, women and minorities have not had a large role in free software community.  So that joke might have worked with a lot of people back then but not so much now.  Since you're a celebrity people are willing to probably overlook such things that might normally offend them.  Of course the opposite is true as well, because you're a celebrity people might be even more offended depending on how sensitive they feel your role is.

People's view of sex around this globe is pretty diverse so it is always a minefield when you combine anything with sex in a diversified environment.  If you're going to go there, I'd take a good look at your audience. :-)

sri