Re: GNOME Speaker Guidelines

Since you've brought it up, Patryk, my very first thought in looking at these guidelines was to marvel at the completeness with which Mr. Stallman's "keynote" at GCDS last year managed to run roughshod over every single one.

There's nothing wrong with jokes or humor. When the supposed "humor" comes directly at the expense of a minority of the audience―a part, in fact, which is unreasonably small―it should be apparent that this is not the sort of "humor" we want to be seeing in a keynote address at our community's own technical conference.

"Humor" is supposed to be funny; Mr. Stallman was not. A keynote should not single out a portion of the community for unwanted negative attention, particularly when that attention is of a sexual nature.

Within the past two weeks, a male attendee sexually assaulted a couple of women at a Linux conference. Perhaps he believed that they were "EMACS virgins" and he was exercising his "holy duty".

__
Sent from my Steve-Phone