Re: GNOME: lack of strategic roadmap

       So say we all! Unfortunately, I don't see any free (or even close)
    alternatives out there. The closest I can find are some local social
    networking websites[1] but they've traditionally concentrated on
    localization rather than internationalization.

Social networking sites are not the only way to announce events.
People do this also with email.

Perhaps with a little thought we can define a spec for how to include
the details of an event in a message in an easy-to-parse way, and
encourage people to use that rather than facebook.