Re: GNOME Travel Committee & Travel Policy: A proposal for consideration and feedback

On Fri, 2009-02-20 at 11:20 +0100, Dave Neary wrote:
> [..]
> I think, nevertheless, that it is essential that the board not push the
> entire responsibility for reimbursement policy to a nominated travel
> committee - it's the board's role to guide the travel committee on how
> they should make choices, when choices are to be make, and to suggest
> sensible defaults for when someone contacts the foundation for a travel
> subsidy. Shirking that responsibility is setting the travel committee up
> to fail, as they will have an very difficult job..

I think there is a rule/policy missing here.  Who will review the
sponsorship applications coming from members of that committee?

In such case, I suggest the committee receives the application, ask for
the information missing and put everything in order to finally send it
to the board for a final review/decision.

I would be willing to volunteer if this issue were clear and if there is
is no room for misunderstanding about sponsorships requested by the
committee itself (specially if the committee would formed by people who
live so far that their requests could be high also).

On the other hand, for newcomers and/or contributors who works in Gnome
but still doesn't feel part of Gnome, I think it could be added a
statement like:

   "Having the support of a Gnome developer for your application
    is a plus."

> > I -personally- expect the real improvements and savings to be in the
> > enhanced speed of the process (hence earlier bookings of tickets),
> > having all the tickets bought with enough anticipation should save us
> > a considerable amount already.
>
> Personally, I expect the biggest improvement to be the community being
> much more aware of how our money is being spent, and encouraging greater
> use of our resources outside of just GUADEC.

In that matter, having a committee doesn't make it clear, it just
increase the perception of transparency.   To really make it clear, at
least it is necessary to make public the detail of the sponsorship (by
item) in each event.

Personally, I don't have any concern about transparency or how the funds
are spent.  IMVHO, the main concerns are the delay and having a good
estimation of cash-flow :-)

--
Germán Póo-Caamaño
Concepción - Chile