Re: GNOME Travel Committee & Travel Policy: A proposal for consideration and feedback

On 2/18/09, Bruno Boaventura <brunoboaventura gmail com> wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 18, 2009 at 6:38 AM, Alberto Ruiz <aruiz gnome org> wrote:
>  > Note that I'm not against a generalized co-pay policy, I'm just
>  > concerned about making it a rule set to stone that would have an
>  > impact on our ability to foster future contributors.
>

> That's my position too. Co-pay policy is great, however, what we have
>  to think about students is: they have other costs with food and
>  transport (depending the place, can be > 200 EUR for a week).

Summarising all the discussion a bit:
  - a travel committee is suggested to take out the huge work of
processing sponsorship applications from the GUADEC committee
  - a more formal process would be installed: a form to be filled,
deadlines to get a reply, etc;
  - conditions and obligations by both parties will be clearer (we
won't cover your new shin pads for the FreeFA cup, you must present
clear tickets)

Regarding the % or 200€ thing:
  - we can agree that the people that *should* get a 100% coverage is
people that deserve it or really need it
  - we can't leave out people asking for 100% just because they are
not crucial people in GNOME; it would kill the involvement of new
people

We could remove the fixed/default %-200€ policy and of course leave
the travel committee with the faculty to ask people if they could be
able to afford an ammount of the trip if they see it as a reasonable
thing to ask. Just like it is done now.

I -personally- expect the real improvements and savings to be in the
enhanced speed of the process (hence earlier bookings of tickets),
having all the tickets bought with enough anticipation should save us
a considerable ammount already.